Sunday, September 1, 2013

PDC Day 4: Trees (Sunshine Coast)

I start classes for my Masters Degree in Human Ecology in Lund, Sweden tomorrow. I recently recovered from the final stages of jet lag and from some unexpected food poisoning and I have decided that I'd better get this blog post out so that I can make room for all of the the new stuff to come, and of course so that I can share with you some photos and comments from my last Permaculture class with Delvin and the PDC crew.

Victor and I by the cob cabin at Rolling Earth (photo by Beata)
 The module was Trees and we were up at beautiful, family-run, Rolling Earth Farm (http://www.rollingearth.ca) on the Sunshine Coast. We spent the day exploring the Permaculture farm with it's cute cob cabin and cob oven/solar water heater combo, then through the gorgeous evergreen forests surrounding the farm as Delvin led discussions about the many multitudes of functions that the trees provide. We mainly talked about the linkages between trees and the different life cycles of the planet such as the water cycle, the nutrient cycle, the flow and purification of air, soil creation and much more.

The functions of trees are really infinite: they purify the air and water, add organic and nutrient matter to the soil, act as water pumps, moderate harsh climate, CREATE (yes, create) rain clouds, stabilize the earth, shelter plants, provide habitat and food for innumerable species, including humans, and so much more. Trees are the wise kings of the forests and way too often we take them for granted. Even ecologically minded people often don't stop and think about all of the services that trees offer. I think it's really important to pause and consciously do this every-so-often as a grounding exercise and to get back in touch with this sacred knowledge.
 
A slanting lecture hall (Photo by Paola)
Walking through the forest we paused in areas going through different phases of succession. For example, we stopped in one zone that had been logged and replanted about 80-100 years ago and compared the straight rows of nearly-identical trees to those in the old growth zones (perhaps these areas had been logged a long time ago and were allowed to regenerate naturally - I'm not sure, but there were many big old trees and it looked like old growth).
Logged and replanted area (photo by Lucie Bardos)
The difference between the two is quite stark. It's important to remember that when logging companies say they will replant the trees they cut, it does not mean that they will replace the forest or that the forest that grows back will be the same as the one that was there prior to logging.
 
Forest area that was further along in the natural succession process (photo by Lucie Bardos)

As we chatted and listened to Delvin's teachings, gathered for lunch and snacks, I became sad to think that this was the last time I would be with our great group of people. I have learned so much during this first part of the PDC course and I certainly hope to pick up where I left off with another great group sometime in the future!
Our PDC group! (photo by Lucie Bardos)

2 comments: